lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 2015 Lincoln MKX Concept
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red Brake Light

Remove this ad
    Red brake light on constantly. Harness unplugged from ebrake. Swapped out fluid level sensor. Please someone help before i lose my mind.

hotrodllsc Guest

Red Brake Light

Check for shorts to ground on that circuit. Also check to make sure you do in fact have enough fluid in the reservoir. I know, it may seem silly that I ask that but I HAVE seen it before... :| And does the yellow abs light prove out? Power brakes work good?

W.V. Kelly Guest

Red Brake Light

Only two circuits are connected to that red \"Brake\" light, the fluid sensor and the parking brake switch. We\'ve found that the parking brake pedal is flexible enough to (after long and/or vigorous use) deflect to the side of the button for the switch. Test this by reaching under the panel to ensure that the pedal is making contact with the switch and is opening it. The red light gets power from fuse 18 through a R/Y wire and is grounded through the fluid level sensor P/W wire and/or parking brake switch. If both of these circuits are disconnected and the light is still on then it\'s being grounded somewhere.
    Never give up,
    W. V. Kelly

hotrodllsc Guest

Red Brake Light

[quote name=\'W.V. Kelly\']Only two circuits are connected to that red \"Brake\" light, the fluid sensor and the parking brake switch. We\'ve found that the parking brake pedal is flexible enough to (after long and/or vigorous use) deflect to the side of the button for the switch. Test this by reaching under the panel to ensure that the pedal is making contact with the switch and is opening it. The red light gets power from fuse 18 through a R/Y wire and is grounded through the fluid level sensor P/W wire and/or parking brake switch. If both of these circuits are diconnected and thelight is still on then it\'s being grounded somewhere.
    Never give up,
    W. V. Kelly[/QUOTE]

From my experience on these cars the red brake light is also tied in with the power brakes. If the master cylinder isn\'t able to build enough pressure it will also trip the red brake light. I\'ll have to look for my EVTM though.

W.V. Kelly Guest

Red Brake Light

[quote name=\'hotrodllsc\']... If the master cylinder isn\'t able to build enough pressure it will also trip the red brake light...[/QUOTE]

The fluid level sensor has two switches for two fluid levels: the first (upper) turns on the red light, the second (lower) turns on the amber light. Yes, that lower fluid level could be expected to affect brake pressure. The amber light is also grounded through the Anti-lock Power Relay so anything that turns that off will also illuminate the amber light.
    W. V. Kelly

Red Brake Light

thanks for the help and wire colors. it was shorted near the e-brake.

Red Brake Light

Continuing on with this thread....What would be the best way to start trouble shooting this: if after pumping the brake pedal 50 times to relieve pressure the pump electric motor would not start after turning on key to \"run\" position? I just ordered a new set of relays (anti-lock power relay and pump motor relay). The reservoir is full almost to overfill.

W.V. Kelly Guest

Red Brake Light

The relays are a good start. beyond that \"The Book\" is a good investment unless you have access to ALLDATA. Search the threads here; you\'ll find plenty of hints.
    W. V. Kelly

Try tapping the relays with the circuit energized.

If this is a preview of the 2015 MKX - I am ready to order right now !

I have a 2011 MKX - love it - but am tired of the big smile Grill - cant wait for more photos !

Phil

Remove this ad
    I won't lie, I don't like this at all, though it is very well put together. The MKX is supposed to be a CUV, not a hatchback.
    1989 Chrysler LeBaron 66,000 miles
    2013 Ford Taurus 46,000 miles