lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Coolant Bleeding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coolant Bleeding

Remove this ad
    Originally the vehicle was not heating up properly, so I thought maybe it had one of those garbage fail safe thermostats that got stuck in the open position. So, I replaced the thermostat today, only to find out that the old one was functioning properly when tested. Which leads me to believe the person who had it did not bleed it properly when replacing the coolant. It was a real bear getting the T-stat housing off and what not, but now its done and I'm ready to add coolant. I can see what looks like a bleeder screw on the top metal cooling pipe. It looks like it can be removed with a small ratchet. The issue I am having... I've broken two ratchets trying to get the thing off! I don't understand why it would take so much force to remove it, its just a bleeder valve, most cars just require a screw driver for removal with minimal force needed on a little plastic fitting. Is it common for this to happen? Just looking for advice and appreciate any input. Thanks!

Vehicle is a 2004 Lincoln Aviator

driller is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2010 Limited Edition Navigator L, 2006 Designer Series Town Car, '98-'96-'93 Mark VIII's
    A pic would really help.

I don't know bout the Aviators, but the Mark VIII's have a history of the cap on the coolant crossover tube seizing up. You cannot burp the coolant system properly without removing the cap. If the valve you speak of is indeed a bleeder valve for the coolant, likewise it will be nearly impossible to properly bleed air from the coolant system.

I don't think I've ever heard of a bleeder valve on the coolant system. I thought that's what the radiator cap or coolant reservoir cap was for?
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine

driller is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2010 Limited Edition Navigator L, 2006 Designer Series Town Car, '98-'96-'93 Mark VIII's
    It's a DOHC thing.

I did get it off. Took a blow torch to it, came right off the 3rd try. Sorry for the confusion, its a bleed "cap" that sits on the top radiator hose. It seems to be getting to temp properly now, still a tad cool though...

Hello
    I have the same problem, I have a lincoln continental 98. I can not open the bleeding cap, I am attaching photos. I was thinking taking out with a torch but just in case and the end I will need to replace it. somebody know the exactly name of the "cap" and where can I buy it. so far I tried bleeding cap, bleding valve, threaded plug . And nothig but the pics show want I mean

I've used a propane torch carefully on the side of the tube just below the lip of the plug with a large pair of channel locks on the top edge of the plug.

In worse case, you can have a nut welded to the top go the plug and use a regular box wrench to remove the stubborn plug.

There is a plug for sale on ebay.
    JP

1993 Boss 5.3L Mark VIII

Hello Driller
    Thanks for your answer,do you have the ling about the plug on ebay. I was trying to find it with different names but not lucky. Or what name do you use for searching on ebay?
    BBL

Slick Fan is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2003 TC Signature, 1977 TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcajirca View Post
    Hello Driller
    Thanks for your answer,do you have the ling about the plug on ebay. I was trying to find it with different names but not lucky. Or what name do you use for searching on ebay?
    BBL
    Click on his "Ebay" word, for the link...or here's the same link in long form.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-98-99-01-...dcf26e&vxp=mtr

Remove this ad
    wow thank a lot for the link. Do you know if Mark VIII and Continental have the same engine. I wonder if this cap will fit my lincoln continental 98