lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Town Car HVAC blend door actuator replacement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited

Town Car HVAC blend door actuator replacement

Remove this ad
    The 1992 and up models of the Town Car use an electronically controlled actuator (motor and sensor) to position the blend door which allows a varying amount of heated air into the HVAC air flow. Most models, except for the 1998 model and the 2003 and up models require the dash to be removed for access to the blend door. The blend door actuator problem usually shows up as a failure to vary the HVAC air temperature even though both heater hoses are hot. A failed actuator can make a tapping or ticking noise. The problem can be confirmed through the EATC self test (usually code 24 or 25) which can be found in another thread in this tech forum.

Attached is the procedure for the 1998 model to remove the passenger air bag and replace either the recirc actuator (for fresh air or cabin air input to the HVAC) or the blend door actuator. The negative terminal on the battery must be removed for at least a minute (Ford's recommendation) to allow the capacitors in the supplemental restraints system to discharge. Since such a discharge would be catastrophic it may be prudent to leave the battery disconnected for 5 minutes or more.

It should be noted that the blend door itself may have failed which is usually noted as a missing or broken actuator drive axle coming up from the plenum. In this case the plenum will need to be replaced, requiring the dash to be removed.

Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited

2003 and up blend door actuator replacement

The 2003 models and above have dual blend door actuators so that the driver and front passenger have separate temperature control. The rear seat passengers receive air through the rear passenger duct from the driver side BDA and temperature setting. Both BDA's are located in the center stack and accessible without removing the dash. Attached are the procedures to replace the LH (driver side) temperature blend door actuator (BDA) and the RH (passenger side) temperature blend door actuator (BDA).

Good luck.

1999 thru 2002 blend door actuator replacement

Attached is the procedure to replace the blend door actuator on a 2001 model Town Car. The procedure is the same for the 1999 thru 2002 models. The steering column is not usually separated but unbolted and lowered with the steering wheel to rest on the driver's seat. If the steering column is separated from the lower steering shaft then it will likely rotate and damage the clockspring.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Town; 01-24-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the steering column procedure

1995 HVAC Blend Door Actuator (BDA) replacement

Attached are the procedures to remove the Instrument Panel and replace the BDA. The steering column should not be separated but lowered with the steering wheel onto the front seat. Separating the steering column will allow the steering wheel to rotate and likely damage the clock spring, etc.

Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

1996 TC Blend Door Actuator (BDA) replacement

Attached are the procedures to remove the instrument panel and steering column to replace the BDA (Blend Door Actuator). Do not separate the steering column, lay it down so steering wheel rests on the seat. Separating the steering column will allow the steering wheel to rotate and likely damage the clock spring, etc. These procedures are much the same as the 1995 model, but seem better explained, and with more diagrams.

Good luck.

1992 TC BDA replacement

The Blend Door Actuator (BDA) replacement for the 1992 Town Car involves removing the Instrument Panel to provide access to the BDA and its 4 retaining screws. These two procedures are attached.

There is a report that this approach (factory procedure) does not allow adequate access to the 2 BDA screws closest to the firewall and their tabs on the BDA need to be removed for the BDA to fit in place (apparently this works OK). It has been recommended to move the plenum back from the firewall to provide access to these 2 screws or to remove the plenum. Since removing the plenum would allow replacement of the heater core (on this 20 year old car) it may be worthwhile. The Plenum remove and instal procedure has been added to cover this option.

Good luck.

Is this limited to just towncars or do same year continentals and mark viii's subject to the same blend door issues ?

Thanks

I would think so, but I don't know for sure. What are you driving so I can look it up?

1998 continental

Remove this ad
    Your 1998 Lincoln Continental has an HVAC that functions much the same as the Town Car of the same year, so I would think the same problems apply. It has an Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) module to regulate most aspects of the HVAC through sensors, electrical circuits and vacuum circuits. The EATC controls an electronic blend door actuator (BDA) to vary the temperature of air in the plenum. The EATC uses 4 vacuum control motors to position the 4 doors for Recirculated/Fresh Air intake, Floor, Defrost/Panel and the rear passenger area. The procedures to deal with any problems in your Continental would be quite different since the packaging of the dash is completely different from what I have seen.

The EATC self test feature will allow any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) to be displayed on the EATC. I will post that procedure in the general section for the Continental.

I would be interested in learning more about the Continental, so we shall see what you need for procedures, and go from there.