lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Town Car intake manifold replacement
    Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited

Town Car intake manifold replacement

Remove this ad
    One of the main reasons to replace the intake manifold on a 1996 thru 2001 Town car is to eliminate the plastic coolant crossover at the front of the manifold and the brass coolant nipple for the heater core. The plastic crossover cracks and leaks coolant over the engine, the new manifold has an aluminum crossover. The brass nipple loosens in the plastic and leaks coolant and may likely cause misfiring from coolant getting into #4 plug well. The replacement manifold has a molded in nipple for the heater core.

Attached are pictures showing the old and new manifold designs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Town is offline Senior Member My Lincoln(s): 2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited

Intake manifold replacement on 2001 model Town Car

The 1998 thru 2002 models should use the same procedures as the subject 2001 model. It should closely apply to earlier models except for the crash bracket at the back of the engine that moves the engine down under the body in the event of a severe crash. Removal of the crash bracket is not well covered and is difficult by all accounts. Do put it back, because it is important.

To remove the serpentine belt, this procedure should help: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...lt-replacement the serpentine drive belt routing for the 2001 model is shown in the attached documents, but make sure it is the same on your car.

The coolant must be drained so that the level is well below the intake manifold which contains coolant, the procedure to drain and refill the coolant is attached in the preliminary procedures which covers the first 6 steps in the Intake manifold removal. The filling of the engine with coolant must be done through the thermostat opening to avoid air lock in the cylinder head and intake coolant passages, and remember to have the heater core inlet hose removed from the nipple at the rear of the intake while refilling the engine. The positioning of the thermostat and O ring is shown in the attached picture, which may not be clear when reading the service procedure.

In the procedures there is frequent mention of the Resonator. This is the intake tube connecting the engine air filter box with the throttle body.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Town; 02-03-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Forgot an attachment

02towncar is offline Junior Member My Lincoln(s): 2002 LTC Signature series
    This site and this thread were great finds for me! I started this process Friday morning around 8am CST and it's now Saturday 7pm and I finally got the Intake out. Then I find this thread so I'll be calling off work tomorrow and spending my Easter under the hood, just wanted to say those attachments will help me save a lot of time putting it back together, Thanks for being so thoughtful and helpful..
    Last edited by 02towncar; 03-30-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

1997 Town Car intake manifold replacement

Remove this ad
    Attached are the procedures to replace the intake manifold on the 1997 model Town Car. The procedures are different from the 1998 and up models since the wipers are not in the way and there is no crash bracket on the 1997 and earlier models. If you need help with the removal of the serpentine belt then see post #5 in this Lincoln Tech forum thread: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...lt-replacement the belt routing for the 1997 model is shown in post #6 of that thread as well as in the attachments for this post.

Good luck.