lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: 1995 Towncar door hinge
    Remove this ad
    I replaced the lower hinge of the drivers door on my !995 Lincoln Towncar. Very difficult to get the correct alignment. After many hours of trying different adjustments, i was able to get it to the point that the door opened and closed, except the interior lights do not go out. If I push in very hard on the door they will go out. It just seems like there is no more adjustment in the hinge or the dooe strike. Should both hinges be replaced as a pair maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by shanny View Post
    I replaced the lower hinge of the drivers door on my !995 Lincoln Towncar. Very difficult to get the correct alignment. After many hours of trying different adjustments, i was able to get it to the point that the door opened and closed, except the interior lights do not go out. If I push in very hard on the door they will go out. It just seems like there is no more adjustment in the hinge or the dooe strike. Should both hinges be replaced as a pair maybe?

As a rule, YES. Replace both Hinge Pins or both Hinge Assemblies or all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shanny' date='12 July 2010 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1278966014' post='22386

As a rule, YES. Replace both Hinge Pins or both Hinge Assemblies or all of the above.

Yeah I'm having the exact same problem wit my 96 sig. series. both my upper and lower hinges are severely worn out. how would the you replace both of them? i'm in the process of it right now and its frustrating!! i believe i need to take the front fender off to really access the hinges correctly. if any one knows a good website that can explain it or if anyone has done this them self's. please help me out. i haven't been able to drive in 3 days. bout to drive with no door ha-ha no Just Playing.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    Yeah I'm having the exact same problem wit my 96 sig. series. both my upper and lower hinges are severely worn out. how would the you replace both of them? i'm in the process of it right now and its frustrating!! i believe i need to take the front fender off to really access the hinges correctly. if any one knows a good website that can explain it or if anyone has done this them self's. please help me out. i haven't been able to drive in 3 days. bout to drive with no door ha-ha no Just Playing.

Hi Silverbullet,

I am guessing that the door hinge pins are worn and not the actual hinge assemblies themselves. The pins are the most common wear point. There's a procedure that you can use to replace them without replacing the hinges. You need Motormite part #38410 from the auto parts store. You get two pins for about $6. Only catch is, you have to cut the old ones out with a dremel or other tool of your choice and support the door so that when the pin comes out, your door doesn't drop off the car. You can replace one at a time and should have a door good as new. Removing the entire hinge assemblies is a real bear because it involves removing the dash so you should proceed with this option only if you determine it's necessary to do so.

Good luck.
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine