lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Clunking noise rear 2000 continental
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    Hi I asked this question once before back last summer never got a solution to my problem. The noise comes from the pass side rear at least sounds like it when I go over the smallist bump. I changed the sway bar link on that side I've had the car on the lift about 10 times but can't seem to find anything loose or hitting shocks seem fine took the rear seat out to see if anything was loose back there all tight. Back in the late 90's there was a service bulletin for garages to take care of the clunking noise in the rear they had at that time. I can't seem to get an answer from any lincoln dealer on it to what the problem was. Any ideas on what the solution was????

Thanks

I can't tell you exactly what your problem is, because you have already done the first thing I would have suggested, by changing the swaybar bushings. I can tell you though that the reason you cannot find anything loose when you put the car on the lift. When you raise the car on a lift, as the body goes up the suspension hangs down making everything very tight. Often the weight is so heavy hanging down on all the suspension there is so much pressure on the parts that you can not move them by hand to duplicate the problem sound. You need to raise the vehicle off the ground, then try moving the parts by hand, shaking & twisting them while at the same time, raising the wheels up off the ground to take the pressure off them. The easiest way is to put the car on jack stand, then using a strong length of pipe or a floor jack, place it under the tire and pry or raise up against the tire. If the suspension is very worn, you can probably do it yourself. If it isn't you will need help, to raise the wheel while you shake and twist at the parts. I would suggest you change all of the sway bar bushings and links if you only did the one suspected side. Also check close around the top of the shock tower for worn attaching holes or especially the rubber insulator between the top of the shock/strut & matine mounting surface. These tend to wear down. I am pretty sure you will find your problem in one of these areas doing it as I suggested. It has always worked for me.Hi I asked this question once before back last summer never got a solution to my problem. The noise comes from the pass side rear at least sounds like it when I go over the smallist bump. I changed the sway bar link on that side I've had the car on the lift about 10 times but can't seem to find anything loose or hitting shocks seem fine took the rear seat out to see if anything was loose back there all tight. Back in the late 90's there was a service bulletin for garages to take care of the clunking noise in the rear they had at that time. I can't seem to get an answer from any lincoln dealer on it to what the problem was. Any ideas on what the solution was????

Thanks

[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by heypop View Post
    Hi I asked this question once before back last summer never got a solution to my problem. The noise comes from the pass side rear at least sounds like it when I go over the smallist bump. I changed the sway bar link on that side I've had the car on the lift about 10 times but can't seem to find anything loose or hitting shocks seem fine took the rear seat out to see if anything was loose back there all tight. Back in the late 90's there was a service bulletin for garages to take care of the clunking noise in the rear they had at that time. I can't seem to get an answer from any lincoln dealer on it to what the problem was. Any ideas on what the solution was????

Thanks

Clean everything out of the trunk. Spare tire, jack and so on. You might even remove the carpet if it will come out reasonably easy. Then drive over some bumps that made the noise before. If the noise goes away, it might have been something like a loose jack handle or such. I've tracked noises down before and the problem is noise travels through the frame. A shop will place microphones around the car but that can be expensive for a one time repair for you to buy.

Best scenario is the noise goes away. Second best is the noise changes. Outside of riding around in the trunk (just hope the driver doesn't get pulled over. The police will not be amused finding a person in the trunk.) you'll just have to change one thing at a time and see what makes a difference.

Once you clean the trunk out completely, only change ONE thing at a time. I've been on race teams where that was hard for some of the guys to understand. (The women didn't have a problem with it. No macho issues I guess.) If you changed three things and ran the best time you ever did, which of the three was it?

Now, I did have a car come into the salvage yard I used to run that had really plowing into a concrete bridge abuttment. I knew the owner and bought it off him. He bought the car new. I sold the le3ft rear quarter panel off it and found an old, dusty and empty bottle of whiskey welded into the panel. When I told him about it, he mentioned that since the car was new, it had a "clunk" when turning right half the time and had done that since new. Hopefull your problem will be a loose jack handle or such.

Hi want to Thank for the replys. As far as checking under the car while on the lift we checked everything that we could see there was no rubbing marks nothing that would look like it was touching and all seemed tight. We did put a jack under the wheel with a 2 x4 wedge between the jack and tire for the effect of the car being on the ground still nothing. Right now I am leaning towards the shock even though the mechanic says the shock is good.

For the 2nd reply I got I did empty the whole trunk about 3 times and the noise is still there, I also rode in the trunk while my better half drove but I didn't dare shut it completely in case she wanted to get rid of me :>). While in the trunk of course it didn't make the noise all the time and when it did it seemed like it was coming from all over the place, but while in the drivers seat it seem like it's coming from the pass rear. You didn't stick that whiskey bottle in another car did you? Like I stated earlier I will try a shock on that side even though these shocks arn't cheap.

I read someplace that there was a service bulletin on a clunking noise rear on the Continental back in the late 90's but can't find anything on it. I called my local dealer and of course they said bring it in and we'll see what we can find at 100. an hour. I was hoping someone in this forum knew something about this service bulletin and had the answer on what was corrected.

I also want to say Thank You to all for a great web site and Forum

I think before I replaced the shocks, I'd check the wheel bearings and brakes back there. One problem with a metal body is sound travels. I've even resorted to having the vehicle come by me over a speed bump so I could listen outside the car. Each time it passed, I'd be in a different spot to hear it from another angle.

Raise the car and support it securely. Take the wheel and see if there is any play in how it sits. Just grab both side and try to wiggle it. Then the top and bottom and do the same. You may or may not hear a clunk. I'd then remove the wheel and make sure the caliper on the rear brakes is snug. I've got a clunk on a '98 Taurus and finally, after 2 years, tracked it down to a worn bushing on a rear control arm.

my 97 makes noise on right hand corners... sometimes...

My mechanic said "Don Worry aBout It"

I gave up worrying...

Quote Originally Posted by hmeister View Post
    my 97 makes noise on right hand corners... sometimes...

My mechanic said "Don Worry aBout It"

I gave up worrying...

Hi I don't believe it is a safety issue since I had the car up on the lift so many times now looking for the noise, BUT IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY (and at this time not to far to go) this is a Lincoln and it is not supposed to ride like a junk car. I been told what was told to you also by other people that don't drive the car. There was a service bulletin that came out in 1997 or 1998 about this kind of noise Service bulletin # 9813, I cannot find what was the solution on it was. I want to know what the issue was and what did Lincoln tell the mechanics to fix to get rid of that clunk in the rear. Any help will save me money that I won't have to spend at the psychiatrist.

Have a 2002 Continetal that I've owned since new. Five years ago I also had the elusive clunking noise. It sounded like it was coming from the left rear suspension. First mistake I made was taking car to the local Ford dealer. $800.00 dollars lighter in my pocket and two new rear shocks I still had the noise. The company I work for has a drive on lift for R&D work and I had that car on and off that lift at least ten times. I rubber malleted every component within reach underneath that car to no avail. I took everything out of the trunk and still had the noise. I then came across a web blog where a fellow had the same problem. I believe he liken the sound to that of a loose golf ball in the trunk. Thats it, thats the sound I have. His solution was to replace both rear sway bar bushings. Local Ford dealer supplied both bushings for less than $10.00. Put car back on the lift, changed out both bushing within ten minutes, lowered car and took it to the most potholed road I could find. Waa-Laa, no clunk, no loose golf ball sound and it's still that way today. Hope this helps. Gerty

Quote Originally Posted by Gerty View Post
    I believe he liken's the sound to that of a loose golf ball in the trunk. Thats it, thats the sound I have. His solution was to replace both rear sway bar bushings. Local Ford dealer supplied both bushings for less than $10.00. Put car back on the lift, changed out both bushing within ten minutes, lowered car and took it to the most potholed road I could find. Waa-Laa, no clunk, no loose golf ball sound and it's still that way today. Hope this helps. Gerty

Gerty...

I am glad you posted as this is probably what is going on with my 97. I have been living with this for 2 years since I bought my "Hanger Queen" - and the sound is exactly like you have described - " A loose golf ball in the trunk"...

Did you get the part number ?? - I can probably find this on Rock Auto Parts site... at least I have something to go on.

-UPDATE - Oddly - I just found this link!

http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/...showtopic=6232

My mechanic says it will take him 3 days to get the parts so we have been going round and round waiting for him to get the parts but he keeps forgetting. I take the car to him for oil changes and brake jobs. I am thinking of getting the parts myself and handing him the parts as we have missed scheduling this for the last 10k miles due to "It takes 3 days to get this part" ... I will check on Rock auto now....

Thanks again for posting...

H.

Remove this ad
    H.

I can't remember what Ford's part number was. In the Ohio, Michigan, Indiana area we have Auto Zone parts stores that also handle that part. Their part number is HB1764. It's a Duralast product. Like I said, it's a quick and easy installation. Brackets have two bolts each that hold the bushings. Loosen one bolt so that there is about 3/8" to 1/2" slack between the bracket and body. Remove the other bolt completely. Peal the old bushing off the sway bar. The new bushing will have a diagonal split in it. Pry open the split and slip it onto the sway bar. No need to disassemble the sway bar from any other mounting brackets. Position the bushing along the sway bar until it is lined up with the mounting bracket. Re-install the removed bolt then tighten both bolts. Move to the bushing on the other side and repeat. Hope this fixes your problem. Gerty