lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: 97 town car amplifier wiring diagram?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Remove this ad
    Total newbie here, so sorry if this is misplaced

just bought a 1997 Town Car Cartier with a blown OEM subwoofer, my buddy and i detached the factory amp and wired a 10" to it which will do for now (guy who had it before me removed sub/amp assembly, and the car had absolutely NO bass tone the audio was completely flat) but i was wanting to wire up an aftermarket amp to run 2 12" subs... My step dad said he could do it, but we need to know which wires are what on the factory connectors for the amplifier. Don't worry, I'm not going to throw ridiculous rims and such on it, i just want a nice sound system, which leads to another question: will the factory head unit and wiring be able to support an aftermarket amp?(dont plan to spend a ton and deal with the nightmare i heard these radios are to replace... besides, i like my wheel controls ) and if so, what are the limitations?

;tldr- i need the wiring diagram for the amplifier connectors or someone who can tell me what each wire is(on amp connectors), is it possible to swap the amp?, and if so what are my limits? (powerwise)

-thanks

Hi Dakota,

If the factory sub enclosure is still in the car, you can get an aftermarket replacement subwoofer that will fit the opening for about $20. No mess, no fuss.

I will have to consult my factory service manual at home to give you the wiring diagram.

The factory wiring will not support aftermarket subs pushing a lot of power. You may be able to use one of the wires to the factory sub amp as a remote turn-on wire and then run a beefy power line straight up to the battery to use with an aftermarket amp.

Stay tuned,

Nick
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine

Quote Originally Posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
    Hi Dakota,

If the factory sub enclosure is still in the car, you can get an aftermarket replacement subwoofer that will fit the opening for about $20. No mess, no fuss.

I will have to consult my factory service manual at home to give you the wiring diagram.

The factory wiring will not support aftermarket subs pushing a lot of power. You may be able to use one of the wires to the factory sub amp as a remote turn-on wire and then run a beefy power line straight up to the battery to use with an aftermarket amp.

Stay tuned,

Nick

thanks, i actually tossed out the stock inclosure, since the guy already uninstalled it I just took the amp off and wired my aftermarket 10" where the stock 6" was.. but it doesnt hit quite as hard as i'd like.. not trying to push a ridiculous amount of power, just want to run 2 12" in low profile "truck boxes" on opposite sides of the trunk

Hey Nick, no rush really, just want to make sure you didnt forget about me so i'm going to bump this up

Man I would not have thrown away the JBL enclosure. You could have sold that on Ebay or something. You can't find them ANYWHERE or the amp that goes with it! I would get it out of the trash ASAP and put it up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dustini View Post
    Man I would not have thrown away the JBL enclosure. You could have sold that on Ebay or something. You can't find them ANYWHERE or the amp that goes with it! I would get it out of the trash ASAP and put it up for sale.

I agree. I paid $200 for the complete JBL setup for one of my Town Cars.
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine

...would have if i knew that... i threw it away before i even posted this topic... its long gone, but i still have the stock amp

hope this helps

found a few more

Remove this ad
    some more