lincoln forums   lincoln forum
Direct Links: MKZ | MKS | New Continental (Old) | MKT | MKX | MKC | Navigator | Town Car | LS
Lincoln Forum: 97 town car amplifier wiring diagram?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kit Sullivan Guest

\'No Brakes\' question...

Remove this ad
    Today, my brakes started not working. Both the red \'BRAKE\' light and the orange \'ANTI-LOCK\' light are illuminated continuosly. Of course, there is a hard pedal and no brakes.

I replaced the brown brake system relay with a known-good unit...no difference.

I disconnected the pump motor and hot-wired it directly to 12V...it works fine, so the pump is OK.

I tried to check for juice at the pos and neg connectors of the pump-motor harness, but I didn\'t see any evidence of any.

Any suggestions?

coffeepot/hrlmk7 Guest

sounds like the master unit might have some gunk in it.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'coffeepot/hrlmk7\']sounds like the master unit might have some gunk in it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the brake fluid is flushed completely once a year. It\'s clean.

Clearly, no power is making it to the pump motor, so the accumulator can\'t charge...hence, no brakes.

Disney Lincoln Guest

When you hot wired the pump, and it ran, did you have brakes?

If to then the pressure switch is probably bad.

markedman90 Guest

Is this on the \'88 or \'90. I have wiring diag\'s for the \'90 and \'91. I can look there or try to get you copies.

Kit Sullivan Guest

[quote name=\'Disney Lincoln\']When you hot wired the pump and it ran, did you have brakes?
    If so then the pressure switch is probably bad.[/QUOTE]

I don\'t know if it actually had brakes, I was only trying to determine if the pump was operative.

How would I accurately test the pressure switch. (Thats\' the switch located on the extreme upper front end of the master, right?)

Kit Sullivan Guest

It\'s on the \'90.

Disney Lincoln Guest

It\'s on/off. If the cicuit is closed, it\'s going to fire the motor. If the circuit is open when pressure is low, it won\'t fire the motor.

chestnut101 Guest

who has the pressure switch\'s ? i have the same problem on the red car.

Kit Sullivan Guest

Remove this ad
    I don\'t think its\' the pressure switch: I took the connector off and jumped the both teminals together on the harness while the engine was on and the pump did not actuate.

Is there another relay, fuse or fusible link somewhere that I can check?