lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Power Window Scratches (applies to 06-08 MKZ)
    Remove this ad
    Has anyone owning a 06-08 MKZ/Zephyr had any issues with your power windows and glass?

I was planning on taking my '08 MKZ I recently purchased in to get tinted so I was doing a check up on all the window conditions to make sure there wasn't any hidden cracks or scratches I would need to get fixed beforehand. All the windows are in immaculate condition apart from multiple vertical scratches I suddenly noticed on my exterior driver side door window. They are actual physical scratches deep enough for a fingernail test so I was pretty mad I didn't notice them before, however no normal person would even notice them unless you were looking for them or anal like myself. I thought at first it might be due to dirt or small pebbles that were caught in the felt and the glass that may have scratched the glass in the past, but after thinking about it, why would there be multiple razor thin scratches on only one window and after looking closer, the lines actually start and stop at different places which really wouldn't make much sense unless pebbles have recently become smarter. After looking into the situation more I found a Technical Service Bulletin from Ford a while back that pretty much explains the issue and proper resolution. It also applies to the sister fleet of Ford vehicles from the same year range:

Here's the TSB:

[TSB 08-11-8] (Door Glass Slow/Scratched/Noise)

FORD: 2006-2008 Fusion

LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr

2007-2008 MKZ

MERCURY: 2006-2008 Milan

This article supersedes TSB 07-12-10 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2008 Fusion, Milan, 2006 Zephyr and 2007-2008 MKZ vehicles may exhibit slow door glass movement, vertical door glass scratches, or window regulator noises on the driver and passenger front doors. This may be due to the door opening dimension between the inner and outer door panels being too tight.

ACTION:

Refer to the Service Procedure to correct the condition. /////////////

Basically, the issue is caused by the regulator mechanism scratching the glass in the same spots over time during every wind up/down due to it being set too tight. This may also cause the windows to make noise or do strange things like go all the way up and come back down on "Auto" or just the opposite. So to help anyone else who may have the same.similar issues, here are some important steps you should know resolving the issue. You need to take your vehicle to a Ford dealership and point out the problem and also let them know you are aware of the Ford TSB. They will need to open the door and manually space out the mechanism according to the TSB's Service Procedure. If you just replace the window, you will end up having the same things happen in the future. As far as warranty, you're surely out of coverage on the noted models but if you have full coverage insurance your windows should be replaced at no cost. However you will need to explain the full situation during the claim. If you already have your windows aftermarket tinted you may fall into a grey area with insurance. It is also important to know you may just have the tint scratched rather than the actual glass. If that is the case you should have the tint removed, have a dealership or tinting service space out the mechanism per TSB Service Procedure, and then you can re-tint the undamaged glass. I will be taking my vehicle to our local dealer to get the service done, hope this information helps anyone who has had the same issues or may be unaware of the problem.

My '10 has some scratches as well. Mine were from dust/pebble getting stuck in the bottom seal. I had to roll window down, and use compressed air to blow it out. Dust/dirt really likes to stick to those bottom seals.

Yea I've had that eventually happen on just about every car I've owned. I usually blow out the windows with compressed air when I detail it. Along with the door jams, trunk, hood, & grille. Also try to blow out the A/C drain valve while I'm at it. This specific issue is caused by manufacturing/engineering neglects involving low clearance between the front door's regulator mechanisms and the glass. It has since been resolved by Ford on the 2009+ models of the Focus, Milan, & MKZ. Pebbles will scratch the whole length of the outside of the glass. This issue will cause scratches of different lengths outside as well as inside the front windows, so that's an easy way to know if you are affected by this issue. Since you have a 2010 model, all you have to do is dodge the pebbles and keep the car on the road

Mistamanne, thanks for posting this. I have the exact same issue on my zephyr. How much did it end up costing you?

I have been debating to get Window tinting..

We have been in another hot Oklahoma summer, temps over 100 for like 15 days now..and I noticed that in overcast sky's the car's A/C seems very cool and comfortable..but as soon as the clouds part and the sun beats in, the cabin feels much warmer from the radiant heat coming through the glass..

I want to tint, but was wondering would the up/down action eventually scratch the tinting film? (based on this thread's topic..)

Has anybody had tinting done on the '11 or '12 MY?..and if so, how's it doing?

I think window tinting makes any good looking car look even better. It's nice for privacy, preserving the interior and, as you mentioned, keeping you cooler. I've always done 35% tint, the darkest allowable by law in Indiana and have enjoyed it on every one of my cars. Oddly enough, I've not done it to my current F-150, but I wont have it forevere anyways and the interior is already non-perfect.

You shouldn't get any scratches unless you have things wedged on the inner beltline rubber weatherstrip or you accidently bump the film with a sharp object.
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine

Quote Originally Posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
    I think window tinting makes any good looking car look even better. It's nice for privacy, preserving the interior and, as you mentioned, keeping you cooler. I've always done 35% tint, the darkest allowable by law in Indiana

Thanks..I will look into it more...

BTW..did I mention ever that I was from Evansville?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt View Post
    Thanks..I will look into it more...

BTW..did I mention ever that I was from Evansville?

I don't think you did. At least I don't remember reading it. I live in Fort Wayne, but from a small town close to the IN-MI border.
    Nick

1967 Lincoln Continental convertible - sold
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Diamond Anniversary - traded
    1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature - sold
    1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercab 5.4L - mine
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V8 - traded
    2002 Lincoln LS V8 - traded
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr - hers
    2010 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.4L - mine

Remove this ad
    have this same problem on my zephyr had the passenger wiindow replaced when i bought it because it was so bad. has been just over a year and its already all scratched up again. along with the driver window and possibly the backs. ive been debating over 35% no windshield or 50% all the way around. but here in RI tint is just straight illegal so the windshield is almost sure to get my balls busted. as it stands now i cant tint anything because it will just get scratched to hell. initially i assumed it was rocks too because the ledge inside and especially on the outside of the window is very wide but more recently was thinking it was something inside the door. thanks for shedding some light on the problem although i cant say im thrilled to pay a dealer god knws how much to get the work done.