lincoln forums   lincoln forum

Lincoln Forum: Hard starting 2001 Lincoln LS V8
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Remove this ad
    I know this topic has been covered before on here, but I'd rather start a new thread than post on a old one. My lincoln ls starts really hard mostly when its warm and has sat for 1-3 hours. It usually cranks for about 3-5 seconds before firing up. So I read up on the problem and came to the conclusion I need new injectors. So, I bought 8 new injectors and installed them last night. Well, the problem remained so I did some more reading, and decided to test the o2 sensors. I looked up how to test the Ford 4 wire o2 sensors and tested one of them. I tested the grey and the black wire, and couldn't get a reading out of either of them. The two white wires heat up the sensor, so I didnt test them.

Does anybody know what I did wrong in testing the sensor? Some other input of what might be the problem on the hard starting would be nice too. Also, when the car finally does start I can smell fuel. And the engine light is on. Thanks a bunch.

Stop messing with the O2 wires and just get an OBD11 code reader that reads live data and watch all the 02 readings live while running. SO much easier. 02's won't cause it to start hard anyway.

When the engine is first started, and rpm is above 400 rpm, the system goes into 'Open Loop' operation. In 'Open Loop', the ECM will ignore the signal from the Oxygen (O2) sensor and calculate the air/fuel ratio based on inputs from the coolant and MAF sensors, but mostly from a pre-programmed table in the memcal.

So what your saying is techincally the only other problem it could be is the MAF and coolant sensors?

Nope just stating its not the 02's.

how long has it been since your last tune up? the plugs may be bad or you may have a fuel delivery problem like a fuel pump.

I just replaced the plugs with 8 new autolite premiums and bought 8 new visteon coils. It runs a lot better now, but it still starts hard. Fuel pump isnt bad because I would probably notice something during acceleration, and there are no problems in that department. Somebody please help, this is really frustrating and embarassing.

Bought a new fuel filter because the original was very dirty, still no difference. Bought a code reader, cylinder 5 is misfiring even after the new injectors and coils. I'm lost.

New does not mean good. Change out cop #5 with a good old one and see if missfire goes away.

Remove this ad
    As the engine light come on lately? Check to see if it has any codes. Also look at the codes history if your OBDII scanner can do that.